1.16.2008

New Year, New Jams

So one of my unspoken, pseudo "resolutions" for 2008 is to listen to more new music. I'll periodically post my findings here. I'm not trying to be some cutting edge source for new jams, I'll just post things I found/am into each week. I'll start off with

1. Wye Oak -- They just signed to Merge this past week and their debut, "If Children," will come out in April. Vibrant Green had the pleasure of playing with them this past week and the Local 506 and it was a blast. Jenn and Andy put on a killer show and definitely won over everyone present. I'm sure it helped that their new Merge family was rolling deep and showing tons of support. I'm definitely looking forward to the next time they come through town as well as the record. Check out the song Warning!

2. Fleet Foxes -- In March, Aux House is playing with Fleet Foxes and Blitzen Trapper at Local 506 and we could not be more excited. I got really into Blitzen Trapper's "Wild Mountain Nation" towards the end of 2007, but just heard Fleet Foxes the other day. I've only heard a couple jams, but I'm really in love with what I've heard. Those vocals fucking kill me! Especially the song Oliver James. Take a listen! I'm really excited to play with these guys!

3. Transit Union -- 2008 started out with a bang when Transit Union finally put out some recorded material. These guys are really good friends of mine and I've been waiting for some recordings since the summer. The band is comprised of former Strunken White members Nagendra Jayanty, Noah Howard (also of Tiger Bear Wolf and Marijuana Wolf) and John Booker (also of I Was Totally Destroying It and Erie Choir), as well as Trekky Records manager/Aux House member Will Hackney. Head on over to their myspace and listen to their new demos.

4. Jason Anderson -- My introduction to the wonderful Jason Anderson was the Wolf Colonel record "Vikings of Mint," loved him ever since. I apparently missed out on this live album he put out last year called "Tonight." So far I really love it, pretty Springsteeny and fun. Check Saturday Night. According to the K website, Jason's got a new studio album coming out in April...very exciting. Also check out his pretty much daily song installment on his myspace!

5. Grizzly Bear- "Graceland" -- Found this on the Grizzly Bear Blog the other day. A kind of cool, rough but still pretty take on one of my favorite songs.

No comments: