2.12.2009

The Physics of Meaning Tour Blog #2



The Physics of Meaning are out on the road all over America. Here's an account of what they're up to in the recurring The Physics of Meaning Tour Blog.

Easley SC and Athens

Having played a few Senryu shows in my hometown of Rockwood, TN, I could totally understand Wylie's excitement, as we made our way from the Northern Carolina into the one with the Palmetto on the license plates. I know what it's like to carry something home that you're proud of, and so I totally understood. He wasn't alone, as we had all heard our share of tales about his up-growing in Easley, SC.

We had to rent a PA, as the place that we were scheduled to play doesn't usually have bands. I thought this was kind of charming. For a bit, it felt like a glimpse of what it'd have been like if we four played in a band together as teenagers, trying to piece together the resources to make the show work. Obviously, that isn't what we're used to, which made it all the more fun. We picked up the PA from a little local music store, not unlike the one where I took guitar lessons (what few lessons I could stand) back home. And just like back then, I couldn't keep myself from playing with all of the toys. (They had an electronic drumset that, instead of making drum sounds, made the sounds of someone BEATBOXING. I probably could've stayed all day. Like anyone who knows me will attest to...once I think something is funny, I will keep at it until it is completely dead. I call it "the death roll"). There wasn't enough room in the van for passengers AND PA, so we just offered to walk across the street and let Daniel drive the van to the venue.

What we didn't take into consideration was that this was an EXTREMELY busy 4-lane with a turning lane across the middle. So, we were, essentially, stuck. That's when Wylie, resourceful as he is, figured out a way. Wylie walked over to this Cowboy who was in front of the music store and spoke with him for a couple of seconds, then returned to us with good news! "He's going to take us to the venue!" said Wylie. This sounded good to me. Historically, I am a fiercely nervous passenger, especially with strangers, but it wasn't far. I'll just put on my seatbelt and think about something else. This will be quick and not scary.

"I'd let you sit in the cab with me, but there's no room!"

And a few moments later, I felt like we had really, truly arrived in Easley. On a busy highway, in the middle of the day, there we were. Among shovels and tires and garbage and other various cowboy refuse we sat. Despite how short the trip was, it felt to me like an awfully long fucking time. And I get sweaty fast. Dylan knows how much I am afraid of stuff, so he reached over and patted my leg.

"Do not turn around. Just close your eyes. In 20seconds, we're either going to be at the venue or dead. Nothing to worry about."

I could see that we were amusing on Daniel's face, as we rolled up to Steddy's, the biker bar (and grill?) that we were playing in a few hours, in the bed of a giant truck driven by an antique cowboy. Now. Now we were there. We walked through the door of the bar and 2 things caught my eye that really set the pace for the evening.

1) A newspaper clipping on the wall. We had been on the front page of the paper!
2) A big sign that said "SUCK AND BLOW SHOTS"

And shit just kept getting more and more real.

5pm drunk guy: What're yall gonna play? Bob Seger?
Wylie: No. We play our own songs.
5pm drunk guy: Nobody wants to hear that shit!

And I would've said he was about 50% right. The bar staff kept charmingly pointing out that Easley wasn't used to stuff like The Physics of Meaning, and that people were just trying to soak it in. There were definately people there who got it and were really enjoying it. But there were certainly those that, as we were informed, were just not used to it. That when, during a break between sets (they made us play THREE sets...we are too old for this) an angel walked out of the middle distance and put his arm around me. I have never seen anyone in my entire life who reminded me more, at their very essence, of Walter Sobchak. I was just sitting at the bar one second, and the next, I could only hear his voice:

"Don't be discouraged" (i wasn't discouraged, but it's ok, sometimes I get discouraged) "you're gonna make it. You guys are doing something....I don't know...progressive. That's what I'd call it. Progressive. And it may seem like people in here don't like it, but they do. These are good, open people who you guys probably just caught off guard. Music like yours doesn't come to places like this." (i tell him about the 5pm drunk guy) "You know what my father always said?" (no.)

"To hell with that son of a bitch."

(I walk to our table, get a cd, and walk back and give it to Marty, my new patron saint, and the instruct Daniel and Dylan to go talk to him, which they do, and both return, like I did, with a renewed glow. Thank you, Marty.)

Dan McCormack and Andres McCormack made the drive all the way from Knoxville to be at this show, and brought friends out from Clemson. They even sang a song with me during set 3. I cannot thank them enough. If you live in Knoxville and don't know these guys, you're cheating yourself.

We spent the rest of our time in Easley with Wylie's wonderful, wonderful, amazing family. We left that place full of food and recharged.

Our day in Athens was a return to orthodox touring. It was a pretty interesting journey, though, to go from a place where NOBODY plays to a place that virtually every band plays. We played at a really great place called Farm255. Aside from hosting shows in their courtyard (between the 40watt and Caledonia Lounge), this place is a restaurant that serves food that is grown on a local farm, and the staff works at both. They grow the food during the day and then go and serve it at the restaurant at night. I'm sure there are plenty of places like this, but it was new to me, so I loved it. And, aside from the cool idea, it was absolutely delicious (try the pork belly).

This show was a little "thrown together" and, due to a miscommunication, there was a surprise opening band that nobody expected, all the way from Kansas. This reduced our set time to 20min, which you'd think would hurt the delivery, but the compact version of our show seemed to be just as good. We did great at the merch table and didn't even have to get sweaty. It was a beautiful night, we played under a mostly full moon, and then went to Jordan's house to watch ROYAL RUMBLE 1992!!!!!!!!!! Best night ever. Like always, we punctuated our time in Athens with lunch at The Grit. I wish we could take that place with us.

So, on we go. To Tuscaloosa. And the fear of not only scary, drunk trash...
...no, that's it.

No comments: