2.16.2009

The Physics of Meaning Tour Blog #5



The Physics of Meaning are out on the road all over America. Here's an account of what they're up to in the recurring The Physics of Meaning Tour Blog.

Austin and McAllen

Into Texas we go! Texas concludes "family week" but that isn't until next time. First, we have to go to Austin!

I really love Austin. For starters, one of our collective favorite people in the entire, wide world lives in Austin. Liz Stephens let's us ransack her tiny house every time we come through. She cooks, let's us show her filth on the internet, let's dylan drink beer in her shower....it's a great time. We have a fabulous time. And Austin is a great town for music, as everyone knows. Our shows have been kinda hit or miss there, as there is a bouquet of amazing shows every single night, so it's hard to get the city's attention. Despite that, we always have a great time. This time, we were playing a place we haven't been to before called "hole in the wall" that apparently has been an institution in Austin for quite some time. Anyways, we set up on the tiny stage to a mostly empty room, and then, just before we played...it was full. Pretty bizarre, but we'll take it! We even had a huge, crazy homeless guy dance like velma from A Pup Named Scooby Doo (you remember) to one of our songs. It was a great surprise that gave way to a great night in one of our favorite towns. Yes!

Friday, we headed down to our little secret. We have been visiting the city of McAllen for our last 4 tours, and I swear to god, it never, ever fails to impress. Our shows are promoted by a group there called MMM, spearheaded by a young friend of our's named Luke. This show was held at a place called "The Incubator" which is a community center that holds shows and houses artists and encourages the growth of an arts community in McAllen. Totally, totally awesome. Our show was opened up by a couple of local acts who were both really great, especially our friends Incohero.

During the first two acts, I made several trips to the food table, because A) we hadn't eaten and B) they had freakin' pastel wedding mints. MY FUCKING FAVORITE. So I kept going back, and the ladies there thought it was funny, how excited I was. They finally gave me a drinking cup full, so that I could have some during the show. Our show was a 2-set "evening with" situation, so after the first set, like always, I went to sell merch and meet people. That's my favorite part of every show. So, sometime between that and set two, I lost my mints. A few songs into the next set, I said something about how everyone should go get some because they're delicious, and the ladies came and presented me with FOUR FUCKING POUNDS OF THEM. I felt like I was getting the key to the city.

All in all, this show was just amazing. Amazing. There was a couple at the show who met eachother at our first McAllen show, got married, and are now expecting their first child. ALL OF THIS, WE FIND OUT THE DAY BEFORE VALENTINES DAY. It was pure magic.

After the show, we stayed with our wonderful, usual hosts (Luke's cousin and family) who made us a feast (and even made scones for us the next morning.....gawd...awesome). I love McAllen and cannot wait to return. I love it more everytime.

ww

No comments: